Have you or a loved one been injured in an accident with a city or county bus? If you have or know someone who has, know that you have a variety of legal options. Keep in mind that it does not matter if you were a pedestrian, another driver on the road, or a passenger on the bus. If you are involved in a public bus accident in any way, you have legal rights.

What to do if another driver caused the accident:

If you are riding on a bus and a driver on the road changes lanes without looking and hits the bus, that driver will be considered at fault. In this situation, you can file a third-party claim with that driver’s insurance. This process will be similar to a standard personal injury claim in which you can seek damages covering medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.

What to do if the bus driver caused the accident:

If a bus driver isn’t paying attention and rear-ends your car at a stoplight, the bus driver will be considered at fault. However, this will not be a standard personal injury case. Since the driver works for a governmental body, the filing process gets more complicated. First, you will have to file a “Claim for Damages” with all of the governmental entities involved, and every county and municipality has different rules and regulations surrounding these types of claims.  Then there is the claims process and more often than not, a lawsuit is required.

In this situation, your best option is to consult a personal injury attorney right away. Filling an injury claim against a governmental agency is complicated, confusing, and wrought with regulations that the average person will be completely unaware of, particularly deadlines, such as the six month statute to file a claim. Many times injury people are seeking treatment and trying to understand what to do and this deadline comes and goes much faster than you think. Fortunately for accident victims everywhere, our legal team in Los Angeles keeps abreast of these regulations and can advise you quickly and efficiently.

So if you or a loved one are involved in an accident with a city or county bus, your first call should be to Karns &  Karns. We will help you to find appropriate medical treatment, file a claim, and collect the damages you deserve. Don’t fight this alone. Instead, call us for legal representation.