If you or someone you love is the victim of a personal injury accident, you likely have many questions about your legal rights, your options and what you can do to move forward. At Karns and Karns, we are always here to help victims and their loved ones. We are here to help answer your questions and give your family the support you need. Here are some of the most common questions we are asked:

I was just in a car accident. What should I do?

First, get to a safe place and assess if anyone is injured. Next, call police and ask for a police report to be completed. Finally, get medical attention as soon as possible, even if your accident seems “minor”.

The person who hit me doesn’t have insurance. What now?

State law requires all drivers to have at least minimum coverage. Check with your insurance carrier to see if your policy include uninsured motorist (UM) coverage. If not, talk to a lawyer right away.

What happens if I am partially at fault for an accident?

California observes a comparative fault rule. Generally speaking, if you are 50 percent or less at fault for your injuries you can still pursue compensation against the other responsible party.

Do I really need a lawyer to file a claim for me?

You may be able to handle an insurance claim just fine on your own. However, if you plan to pursue damages through a personal injury lawsuit, your best bet is to work with a lawyer who knows how this process works.

What are “damages”?

Damages is the legal term for what you have lost in the accident. Damages include medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, etc.

Is there a time limit for filing a personal injury claim?

Yes. The time limit is called the statute of limitations. In California, most personal injury claims will fall under a two-year statute of limitations. That means you have two years from the date of the injury or death to file a lawsuit.

What if I can’t afford to pay for a lawyer?

Most personal injury lawyers, including the team at Karns & Karns work on a contingency fee basis. That means that you pay nothing up front for representation. Instead, you and your lawyer will agree to an amount (usually a percentage), and that amount will be deducted from your verdict or settlement amount if your case is successful. If your case is not successful, then you owe the lawyer or law firm nothing.

Contact Us

Karns & Karns

Our office

3753 Howard Hughes Pkwy., Ste. 200, Las Vegas, NV 89169